The South Dakota State Soccer Association has announced the award winners for 2013 in a number of categories at the SDSSA Awards Banquet held in Spearfish, SD this past weekend.
South Dakota Soccer Hall of Fame Inductees - The South Dakota Soccer Association Hall of Fame program pays tribute and honors annually, the remarkable men and women for their contributions to soccer either as a coach, board member, referee, administrator, or volunteer, for the South Dakota Soccer Association.
· Rick Anderson – Yankton SD
· Dave LaCombe – Yankton SD
· Randy McKee – Sioux Falls SD
2013 Team Builder Awards – presented to those associations that have demonstrated the highest percentage of growth in membership over the past year.
· Small Association(less than 500 members) – Mitchell Soccer Association
· Large Association (more than 500 members) – Spearfish Youth Soccer Association
Coach of the Year Awards – recipients of the Recreational and Competitive Coach of the Year awards are selected by the South Dakota State Soccer Association on the basis of sportsmanship, player development, person coaching development and community involvement.
These coaches have committed to continued education and self-sacrifice to give back to the sport they love with the hope they might enhance on of their players abilities and quality of life. South Dakota is proud to recognize these Coaches of the Year for their time and effort in contributing to our youth through the great game of soccer. By promoting teamwork, discipline, fitness and fair player these coaches are making a difference. Winners of the Sate Coach of the Year Awards move on to the Regional Coach of the Year selection process. If selected at the regional level, they will advance to the National US Youth Soccer Coach of the selection process which will be announced at the US Youth Soccer Awards Gala this January in Philadelphia.
· 2013 Recreation Girls Coach of the Year – Jessica Janssen, Sturgis (coach of Lead-Deadwood)
“Jess has always stood out as a coach who respects the game, her team and her opponents. She has shown her players the importance of playing hard but treating team mates and opponents with dignity and respect. Because of her guidance the girls have learned how to enjoy the game for what it is whether they win or lose.”
· 2013 Recreational Boys Coach of the Year – Eric Hunt, Spearfish
“His great spirit is contagious and I found myself cheering on his players as much as he was cheering on mine. Parents and other coaches have taken notice and mimic what he does.”
· 2013 Competitive Girls Coach of the Year – Steve Burckhalter, Sioux Falls Lincoln Girls Varsity
“Steve has an appreciation for clean play, and his players play to that standard. Steve instills sportsmanship by how he conducts himself along the sidelines and by encouraging team bonding activities and an expectation of good citizenship off the field.”
· 2013 Competitive Boys Coach of the Year – Warren Brenner, Yankton
“Warren displays respect for players, opposing coaches and referees at all times. He has trained his players to do the same and encourages players to help develop younger players in the Yankton Community.”
Administrator of the Year – selected for their extraordinary accomplishments and outstanding commitment and dedication in administration of a local soccer organization.
· Darlene Smith – Rapid City Youth Soccer League
“Darlene oversees on average 175 teams a season. If a board member has a question, she is the first they turn to. Darlene is the glue that holds our organization together.”
Volunteer of the Year – is honored as a positive role model who promotes the game, increases the opportunities to participate and goes above and beyond to make soccer a great experience for players, coaches and fans.
· Chris & Milt Carter – Watertown, SD.
“Together they have built WYSA and are still active board/committee members long after their sons have graduated and moved on to college. Their experience and direction of the volunteers has been the grassroots of WYSA.”
Media Friend of Soccer – Recognizing media people who provide outstanding coverage of soccer in South Dakota.
· Dan Hoblick – KCCR Radio
· Wade LaRoche – Capital Journal
· James Cimburek – Yankton Press & Dakotan
· Dee Sleep – Spearfish Soccer Website maintenance
Parent of the Year – selected for outstanding record of participation ad is involved in their community outside of soccer as well as an excellent role model in their community.
· Jan Loux – Spearfish, SD
“Jan is willing to help out in any aspect. Jan has an open and hoest heart that she will show to anyone that has the pleasure of meeting her.”
Dakota ODP Player of the Year – talented, committed youth players represent their state, region, and country in soccer competitions.
· 2013 Boys ODP Recipient – JJ Johanssen –Minot, ND
· 2013 Girls ODP Recipient – Allie Zueger –Aberdeen, SD
Young Referee of the Year –selected based on work ethic, knowledge of the rules of the game and influence as a positive role model.
· Female Recipient – Haley Hohn-Donat -Rapid City
· Male Recipient – Owain Witte –Wessington Springs
Goal of the Year – selected from video clips submitted of goals scored in the past year
· Jordyn Henderson-midfielder for South Dakota United Barcelona and Brandon High School
Save of the Year – selected from video clips of goal keeper saves in the past year.
· James Trimble-goalkeeper for Belle Fourche High School, for save made against Hot Springs High School. Videographer was Jim Trimble.
Photo of the Year -“Faces of South Dakota Soccer” –selected from photo submissions taken in the past year.
· Maggie Smither – goalkeeper for SF Lincoln High School and SD United Legacy. Photographer-Mark Smiter.
Soccer SuperFAN Award – Recognizing the “Twelfth Man” – the fans who show up to the games to support their team through thick and thin, and uphold the integrity and spirit of soccer with sportsmanlike behavior toward game officials and to opposing players, coaches and fans.
· Rapid City Stevens Student Body - for their spirited support of the Rapid City Stevens Boys Varsity Soccer Team, award accepted by Jacob Vifquain for Stevens Raiders Soccer Fans
Soccer Shorty Award – For outstanding and innovative use of social media to serve soccer membership, promote South Dakota soccer, and build local soccer culture
· P.J. Conover - Facebook administrator for Sturgis Soccer Association Facebook page
Soccer Ink & Air Award – Recognizing individuals who feed the soccer stories to traditional media outlets to make it easier for newspaper, television and radio to provide coverage of the soccer program and its players, coaches and fans.
· Darrell Shoemaker of Rapid City Stevens, for public relations, photographs and press release preparation for Rapid City Stevens Soccer programs