South Dakota Youth Soccer’s Player Safety Policy was recently updated to reflect changes to US Soccer’s SafeSport framework and USSF Policy 212-3. These changes are required by the US Center for SafeSport and became effective January 1, 2022. Further, please note that these required changes apply to all US Soccer members (i.e. including US Club Soccer, SAY, and AYSO).
On February 14th, 2018, the President of the United States signed the Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse and Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017 which is aimed at protecting amateur athletes* from sexual abuse.
- Any adult interacting with amateur athletes in the program has a duty to report abuse and or suspected abuse.
- The statute of limitations is extended for up to 10 years after a victim realizes he or she was abused.
- Limits an athlete under the age of 18 from being alone with an adult who is not their parent.
- *What is an amateur athlete? Any child or minor under the age of 18.
- Legislation is available for download (click here).
- If you have already completed your SafeSport with another organization (i.e. Referees, other sports, etc.) you DO NOT need to do it again. Simply email a copy of your certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once this step is completed 2 things could happen.
- It could recognize your profile/username and ask that you login instead. You can find forgotten passwords and usernames by clicking “FORGOT PASSWORD”.
- SafeSport will automatically create an account for you immediately with the information you provided. You will need to accept one legal document then follow the steps below to access your course.
Recognize to Recover
Recognize to Recover is aimed at promoting safe play and reducing injuries in soccer players of all ages. The first-of-its-kind, the program was developed with the help of medical experts to provide coaches, players, parents and referees with information, guidance and additional educational materials to improve the prevention and management of injuries.
For more information please see: https://www.recognizetorecover.org/#us-soccers-comprehensive-player-health-and-safety-program